Democratic Club of Claremont
General Membership Meeting
Monday, January 27, 2014 7:00 PM
Porter Hall, Pilgrim Place
Welcome: Gar Byrum, chair, welcomed approximately 40 members and guests.
Program: Merrill Ring introduced Professor Elif Ozkaya who gave a broad picture of current events in Turkey. Her talk, "A Tyranny of the Half: An Overview of Turkish Politics in the Past Year", included data about its economy, social structure and politics. Professor Ozkaya gave details of unemployment rates, standard of living and foreign investment. She thinks that, although the people of Turkey have not joined into the Arab Spring, the country is not experiencing an advancement of democracy. As evidence, she spoke of Turkey's political history, its party system and subsequent military takeover. Professor Ozkaya delved further into Turkey's past as she recounted its founding as a republic after WWI. Today, however, she believes that the secular / middle class is under attack, the country is on the verge of economic collapse and support for the president is shallow although there seems to be no visible / strong opposition in the coming election. Ozkaya did not think there would be a military takeover. The Q/A exchange included topics such as the Kurdish minority, the country's relationships with Syria and the United States, tourism, media and the possibility of Al-Qaida within the country.
Business: MSA (Bob Gerecke) The minutes of November 25, 2013 were approved.
- February 14 Luncheon: Peter Dreier - Casa de Salsa - Noon - 2 PM - Author of "100 Greatest Americans of the 20th Century"
- February 24 General Membership Meeting: Joe Cicero - Porter Hall - 7 - 9 PM - Southern California chair of Americans for Democratic Action and Peace Action
- January 28: Presidential State of the Union Address will be tomorrow; Organizing for Action will co-sponsor a Watch Party at SEIU-ULTCW Hall, 195 N. Arrowhead, San Bernardino , CA
- February 8: League of Women Voters event at Padua Hills Theater: Dr. Nigel Boyle, "Global Education Moneyball" 2 - 4 PM
- March 1: TAIPD "Water Scarcity & Solutions: Global to Local" conference; Garrison Hall, Scripps College 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
- March 2: Judy Chu meet 'n greet at the home of Joe Salas
- March 7, 8, and 9: California Democratic Party Convention, Los Angeles Convention Center
- March 9, 16, 23 and 30: Progressive Christians Uniting series on "Inequality"
- March 27: Pete Aguilar meet and greet at the home of Joe Salas
Adjourn: The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 PM.
Carolee Monroe, Recording Secretary