Democratic Club of Claremont
Executive Board Meeting
9:30 AM Saturday, January 17, 2015
Health Services Center, Pilgrim Place
Attendance: Gar Byrum, Chair; Carol Whitson, Debi Evans, Brenda Lewis, Curt Lewis, Ted Panzer (guest) and Carolee Monroe.
MSA (Carol) The Agenda was approved with the following changes:
- Address By-laws at the beginning of the meeting
- Add Loan/Law Suit
MSA (Carolee) The Minutes of the Executive Board meeting (11/15/14) and the General Membership meeting (11/24/14) were approved unanimously.
MSA (Carol) The Treasurer's Report was approved after a discussion of Income and Expenses. Carol will prepare a proposed budget for 2015 for the February meeting.
By-Laws Article: Meetings: Debi, Chair of the By-Laws Committee, reported that the committee will include for By-Laws to be voted electronically by the membership.
Nominations: Gar and Debi, as members of the Nominations Committee, reported that because there were no nominations from the floor during the November General Membership meeting, the slate offered by the committee will be asked to be approved by acclamation. A process of encouraging members to be candidates for office was discussed.
Finance: The annual contribution made to Pilgrim Place towards the use of their facilities will be made: $250 now and $250 in June. Carol is updating the Roster to show voting members. The Charter has been submitted.
Program & Issues: A letter regarding Fracking, written by Merrill Ring and to be signed by John as DCC President, will be offered as a motion for approval to the membership at the January 26th meeting. When approved, copies will be sent to Assemblyman Chris Holden, State Senators Carol Liu and Connie Leyva and Governor Jerry Brown.
Gar will follow up with Ned to change the website's listing of the current venue for luncheons, that of Darvish Restaurant, 946 W. Foothill.
Communications: Brenda, to be elected Corresponding Secretary, will assume Chair of the Committee. Of concern to the committee is verification of the membership list with Ned Freed, Webmaster. Gabe Monroe was appointed as backup to Ned. Gar is to arrange a meeting with Ned and Gabe about Gabe's learning how to use the website.
Membership: Sandy Hester, Chair, was unable to attend but sent a report that she plans on contacting unpaid members and asking them to renew.
Political Strategy: Debi, Chair, reported that the ADEM election resulted in Anthony Portantino's slate being elected. Alternative times and days were suggested for the meeting because of conflicts.
MSA (Debi) Endorsement of Anthony Portantino: The motion to endorse Mr. Portantino for State Senate District 25 in the 2016 election was unanimously approved; it will be presented to the general membership for approval at the January 26th meeting. Debi will invite Anthony to the meeting.
MSA (Debi) Honorary Membership given to Karen Wingard: The motion, unanimously approved, designates our Regional Director for this area as an Honorary Member. The motion will be presented to the general membership for final approval.
Fracking Letter: see Programs & Issues Committee Report.
MSA (Carol) Loan/Lawsuit: With the election of new Club officers, Debi Evans and Gar Byrum will continue as representatives of the Club in contacts with the Law Offices of Hengesbach and Dawson.
- Monday, January 26, 2015 General Membership meeting, 7:00 PM Porter Hall, Pilgrim Place Char Miller "The State of the Environment"
- Friday, February 13, Democratic Club of Claremont luncheon Noon Darvish Restaurant, 946 W. Foothill Blvd., Claremont Angela Sanbrano to speak about Latin American issues, including Immigration and Cuba
- Monday, February 23, Democratic Club of Claremont General Membership meeting 7:00 PM Porter Hall, Pilgrim Place Amanda Hollis-Brusky will speak on the Supreme Court: what to expect from it in the next two years
- Sunday, February 1, Pomona Valley Chapter of UNA-USA, Annual Meeting/Pot Luck 5:00 PM Decker Hall, Pilgrim Place, Congresswoman Judy Chu will be honored as an "Environmental Champion Everyone is invited, please bring a dish to share.
- Tuesday, February 17 UNA-USA Pomona Valley Chapter meeting 5:30 PM Porter Hall, Pilgrim Place Char Miller will speak on "Water Management and the UN Goal of Securing Sustainable Water for All" Site of meeting - on the Claremont Colleges campus.
- Saturday, February 21, NAACP Series: Dialog Re. Police/Race Relations 3:00 PM Kennedy Austin Foundation, 2501 N Garey Avenue, Pomona
- Sunday, February 22, Progressive Christians Uniting Agenda for a Prophetic Faith Series 7:00 PM, Claremont United Methodist Church Ed Bacon, Pastor, All Saints Episcopal Church, Pasadena, "A Prophetic Call from a Church on the Front Lines"
Adjourn: The meeting was adjourned at 11:10 AM.
Carolee Monroe, Recording Secretary