Democratic Club of Claremont
Executive Board Meeting
9:30 AM Saturday, February 20, 2016
Attendance: John Forney, chair, Carol Whitson, Merrill Ring and Carolee Monroe.
Agenda approval: Added were: Portantino endorsement letter and Liz Davis internship
Minutes for Approval: MSA (Carolee) Unanimously approved were the Executive Board Minutes of January 16, 2016. The Minutes of the General Membership Meeting of January 25, 2016 were reviewed.
President's Report: John spoke of the 50th anniversary of Clergy and Laity Concerned about Vietnam and of the possibility of an event, a national day of repentance, in 2017/18, to address America's behaviors towards native Americans and Afro-Americans and a culture based on materialism. (In 2018 we will observe the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.) Rabbis Arthur Waskow and Phyllis Berman are in town for the Agenda for a Prophetic Faith series Rabbi Waskow's book, Running Riot, is recommended. (Merrill recommends Michael Moore's film, "Where to Invade Next".)
FINANCE/Treasurer's Report: Carol reported substantial deposits from new and renewed memberships. She has completed the FEC report and is working on the FPPC.
PROGRAM & ISSUES: The latest speakers, Hamid Rezai and Vanessa Tyson, have presented excellent programs. Upcoming speakers and topics are listed below under Club Events. Merrill said that the Issues Committee luncheons are well attended and provide for much discussion.
MEMBERSHIP: Approximately half of the 2015 members have renewed and about 10 new members. Messaging to join and renew membership needs to emphasize the activities and accomplishments of the club. (Sandy is recuperating from surgery.)
POLITICAL STRATEGY: (Debi is campaigning)
United HQ: (Neither Sandy nor Debi was able to attend/report.)
Voorhis Voice contents/articles: For the March edition, John will include reasons for club membership, Merrill will review Vanessa Tyson's talk on Black Lives Matter and Carolee will write about the club's Earth Day booth. For upcoming months, topics may be: our nominated "Veteran of the Year", meetings of the committee for a new police station and the most important issues of our elected officials (written by them).
Face book administration: continued updating is needed.
- Letter of endorsement of Anthony Portantino: Merrill's letter was accepted as revised. Copies are to be distributed to the membership through the Voorhis Voice newsletter/editor Ivan Light; to the Claremont Courier/editor Kathleen Dunn by John and to Anthony by Merrill.
- Endorsement of Eric Bauman as State Party Chair: MSA (Carol) The Executive Board unanimously recommends that the DCC general membership endorse Eric Bauman as California State Party Chairperson.
- T-shirt fundraiser: With the permission of Eve Mefford, t-shirts designed by her will be available to be sold. Orders will be taken in the club's Earth Day booth, along with Hillary and Bernie buttons and bumper stickers.
- Liz Davis internship: Merrill will contact Mel Boynton about establishing the position of intern. To be considered are: a detailed job description, supervision and support committee and a possible link to TAIPD. Intern responsibilities could include monitoring of the actions of our elected representatives in Sacramento, researching initiatives that will be on the fall ballot and interviewing and writing articles for the Voorhis Voice newsletter. Both college and high school students may be considered for the position.
- 2015 Minutes (General Membership and E-Board) posted on website? Merrill will check to see if Carolee's attempts were valid.
- NO Voorhis Voice posted on website: Carolee will contact Ned Freed to discuss the issue.
- Earth Day, April 23 - booth: MSA (John) Unanimously approved that the club will participate in Sustainable Claremont's celebration. Carol wrote a check for $75 application fee; Merrill will determine an "adult" focus while Carolee will set up a kids activity, write an article for the newsletter and gather volunteers.
- Nominee for Veteran of the year for AD 41: With the consensus of the executive board, Carolee will ask Jim Stripling if he will agree to be our nominee. Carolee will complete the form with Jim's approval.
- Monday, February 29 Member meeting: Gar Byrum "The Requirement that a President be a 'Natural-Born Citizen'" NAPIER
- Friday, March 11 Luncheon: Congresswoman Judy Chu "National Park Service and GOP attempts to defund" DARVISH
- March 28 Member meeting NAPIER CENTER
- April 8 Luncheon DARVISH
- April 25 Member meeting NAPIER CENTER
- May 13 Luncheon: Assemblyman Chris Holden DARVISH
- May 30 Membership meeting NAPIER CENTER
- June 10 Luncheon: Marjorie Cohn "Drone Warfare" DARVISH
- June 27 Member meeting NAPIER CENTER
Other Organizations' Events
- Kamala Harris meetngreet, Feb. 21 2:30 PM 3460 Fletcher Ave., El Monte
- California Democratic Party State Convention February 27-28
- Assemblyman Holden Open House, March 3, 4:30 - 6:30 PM, 600 N. Rosemead Bl., Pasadena
- Agenda for a Prophetic Faith Series:
- February 21 Rabbi Arthur Waskow "Understanding the biblical Jubilee for our Time", 7 PM Claremont Presbyterian Church, 1111 N. Mountain Avenue, Claremont
- February 28 Steve Rohde "Repairing our Broken Criminal Justice System" 7 PM LaVerne Church of the Brethren, 2425 E Street, LaVerne
Adjourn: 11:20 AM
Carolee Monroe, Recording Secretary