THE DEMOCRATIC CLUB OF CLAREMONT
Meeting of the General Membership
May 26, 2014 - 7:00 PM
Porter Hall, Pilgrim Place, Claremont, CA
ATTENDANCE: Gar Byrum, chair; approximately 25 present
Club President, Gar Byrum welcomed past members, Charlene Martin and Ginger Elliot.
PROGRAM: Claudia Strauss, Professor of Anthropology, Pitzer College. Claudia narrated a power point presentation which was a summary of the research for her latest book "American Public Opinion Beyond the Liberal Conservative Divide." The purpose of Dr. Strauss' research was to determine whether the public is equally divided by ideology as are the parties. She found that since 1990 there has been declining Republican support for environmental laws as well as the social safety net. There is also a growing divide over restrictions on immigration, with R's staying the same and Dems loosening up. However, she found that across all Americans 2/3 or more agree on many issues:
- An increase in the minimum wage
- Immigrants who are here should have a path to citizenship
- There should be stronger rules to protect the environment
- Should be more cooperation between the parties
BUSINESS: Carolee was called upon to discuss the July 4th plans and passed around a sign-up sheet for manning the booth. Merrill reminded everyone that Karen Rosenthal was making a list of those who wanted to participate in the Speaker's Corner.
- The luncheon speaker on June 13 will be Susan McWilliams speaking about her grandfather, Carey McWilliams, a noted attorney and 20 year editor of NATION magazine. Noon at Casa de Salsa
- Andy Winnick will be our speaker at the June 30 General Meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM
Carolee Monroe, Recording Secretary