Democratic Club of Claremont
General Membership Meeting
7:00 PM Monday, January 25, 2016
Napier Center, Pilgrim Place
Professor Hamid Rezai addressed "Iran and the US after the Nuclear Deal: Perceptions, Obstacles and Opportunities". A summary of the lecture can be found in the February issue of The Voorhis Voice newsletter by Ivan Light, Editor.
Approval of Minutes of November 30, 2015 postponed until the February meeting.
President's Report John Forney talked about the growth and success of Climate Lobby since its inception.
FINANCE/Treasurer's Report: Carol Whitson reported that the balance in our accounts has increased by approximately $300, with 15 new members and many member renewals.
PROGRAM & ISSUES: The Issues Committee, according to Merrill Ring, will be looking into sea level rise and the role of government in addressing it. Merrill is drafting an article in support of Anthony Portantino, our club's endorsed candidate for State Senate District 25. (See below for speakers and topics at meetings and luncheons.)
MEMBERSHIP: Sandy Hester reported a membership total of 145 plus 15 new members. Beginning in February, she and Gar Byrum will be phoning those members who have not yet renewed.
POLITICAL STRATEGY (UDHq-E): Debi Evans said that 25 Democratic activists attended the January 23 meeting to plan for a headquarters for the coming election. Some topics: the fundraising event venue, the goal / amount needed, the name of the headquarters, By-laws and chartering of it, the possibility of satellite sites, and candidates to support. Congresswoman Norma Torres has offered help.
LACDP/CDP: Joe Salas told of the talk that Jeffrey Prang (current Los Angeles County Assessor) gave at a recent LACDP meeting. Attendees learned of the work of the Assessor's office and improvements in technology being made. Bob Gerecke shared the two resolutions passed: a reaffirmation of First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and an appeal to California Attorney General Kamala Harris to investigate Exxon.
(Luncheons are at Noon at the Darvish Restaurant, 946 W. Foothill Blvd. Member meetings are at 7:00 PM at Napier Center, 660 Avery Road, Pilgrim Place campus.)
- February 12 Luncheon: Vanessa Tyson "Black Lives Matter" (Darvish)
- February 29 Member meeting: Gar Byrum "The Requirement that a President be a 'Natural-Born Citizen'" (Napier Center)
- March 11 Luncheon: Congresswoman Judy Chu "National Park Service" (Darvish)
- March 28 Member meeting (Napier Center)
- April 8 Luncheon (Darvish)
- April 25 Member meeting (Napier Center)
- May 13 Luncheon: Assemblyman Chris Holden (Darvish)
- May 30 Membership meeting (Napier Center)
- June 10 Luncheon: Marjorie Cohn "Drone Warfare" (Darvish)
- June 27 Member meeting (Napier Center)
Other Organizations' Events
- California Democratic Party Pre-endorsement Conference - January 30-31
- California Democratic Party State Convention February 27-28
- January 26 Claremont City Council Meeting - Second reading of Cannabis The LACDP met with stakeholders recently regarding the issue as it is expected to be on the November ballot
- February 6 Presentation by Dr. Joshua Fisher "Caring for Our Common Home" at Decker Hall, Pilgrim Place 11:30 AM - 3:30 PM Lunch will be served; bring own glass, plate, fork and napkin.
- Agenda for a Prophetic Faith Series:
- February 14 James Carroll "Pope Francis, Laudato Si and the Flourishing of Creation", 7 PM Holy Name of Mary Church, 724 E. Bonita Avenue, San Dimas
- February 21 Rabbi Arthur Waskow "Understanding the biblical Jubilee for our Time", 7 PM Claremont Presbyterian Church, 1111 N. Mountain Avenue, Claremont
- February 28 Steve Rohde "Repairing our Broken Criminal Justice System" 7 PM LaVerne Church of the Brethren, 2425 E Street, LaVerne
- Assemblyman Chris Holden is seeking nominees to be honored in the categories of:
- Small Business of the Year
- Veteran of the Year
The deadline for submitting candidates is March 24.
Adjourn: The meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM.
Carolee Monroe, Recording Secretary