Democratic Club of Claremont
Executive Board Meeting
9:30 AM Saturday, October 17, 2015
Pilgrim Place Health Services Center
Attendance: John Forney, Chair, Debi Evans, Carol Whitson, Merrill Ring and Carolee Monroe.
Agenda approval - Added were:
- Consideration of different location for meetings,
- By-Laws Article revision,
- Police Station Measure meeting,
- UNA publicity and lawsuit update.
Minutes for Approval: MSA (Carolee) The Executive Board Minutes of September 19, 2015 were Approved unanimously.
Minutes for Review: The General Membership Meeting of September 28, 2015 were reviewed.
FINANCE/Treasurer's Report: Carol reported a current balance of about $2,200. She distributed a comparison of income and expenses by quarter, comparing 2014 and 2015 to show the flow of money. Consideration of use of the storage unit, its contents and a possible other site were deliberated. Carol also distributed the statement from the swag provider and the reimbursement plan as previously agreed upon.
PROGRAM & ISSUES: Merrill acknowledged that the fall programming is well-received. He is to write a brief synopsis of the talks at the luncheons for publication in the Voorhis Voice. He reviewed the upcoming programs (see below). Regarding the police station, the reasons for and against it were enumerated. A suggestion not previously noticed was for sub-stations, especially in north Claremont. A recent letter by Merrill has been published in the Daily Bulletin. The staff of the Darvish restaurant are to be invited to our holiday party.
COMMUNICATIONS: Mel Boynton is to be sent items for inclusion on our Facebook page. Debi will send him the information regarding publicity for the celebration of the founding of the United Nations 70 years ago.
MEMBERSHIP: Sandy reports a membership of 147. She will bring 100 copies of our membership form to the holiday party. Debi will work with Sandy at the party. Carol will contact Karen Wingard regarding the number of representatives we will be allotted.
POLITICAL STRATEGY: Joe Salas has joined the committee and will report to the general membership on meetings of the LACDP and the CDP. Debi will write a note thanking Bob Gerecke for his service.
- Village Venture booth #735: Volunteers are still needed with at least 2 members signed up for each 2-hour shift. The Trump pinata given the club by Marguerite Gee Royse will be on display and donations accepted.
- Holiday Party: MSA (Merrill) In addition to Marilee Scaff and David Levering, Eve Mefferd will be honored for her service to the club and community, along with that to the Young Democrats Club at Claremont High School. The program and menu were discussed. The Claremont Courier will be given publicity regarding our honorees by either Sandy Hester or Carolee.
The possibility of meeting on the campus of the Claremont Colleges was considered and rejected.
The remaining revision of the By-Laws Article will be presented at the November Executive Board meeting.
Debi will distribute to members information on the UNA - Pomona Valley Chapter's celebration of the 70th Anniversary of the founding of the United Nations.
LACDP booth at LA Co Fair: Merrill will write a letter to Adam Seiden and Nancy Gibson about the swag available in the booth. The booth featured Hillary buttons 14 to 3 for Bernie. Bernie buttons were sold out within the first week of the fair and not replaced with new merchandise.
LACDP Associate Member Appointment : MSA (Merrill) The board unanimously approved the appointment of Debi Evans.
CDP Chartered Club - Submission of Potential Representatives for Endorsement Conferences: John Forney, Merrill Ring, Debi Evans, Joe Salas and either Sandy Hester or Carolee Monroe will serve.
The Board met in closed session regarding the law suit.
- October 24 booth #735 at Village Venture: straw poll, buttons and bumper stickers, "Pithy Progressive Polemics", DISCLOSE Act petition, register to vote
- October 26 General Membership Meeting: Pros & Cons of Measure PS (police station)
- November 13 Luncheon: Noah Snyder, California Clean Money Campaign
- November 30 General Membership Meeting topic will be "Education"
- Saturday, December 5 - Annual Holiday Party, Napier Center, Pilgrim Place, 4 PM
- Countdown to 2016: Summit for Democratic Activists and Club Members
- Sunday, October 25, 2015 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM at Cal State LA in the Golden Eagle Building, 3rd Floor Ballroom Contact Debi Evans for more information.
- 2015 Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Democrat of the Year Dinner - Sunday, November 8, 2015 MSA (Debi) The Club will purchase a ticket for AD Democrat of the Year, Joe Salas.
- Congresswoman Judy Chu has drafted legislation extending resources and additional Wilderness designations. Merrill will write a letter in support of her efforts and John will sign it.
Adjourn: The meeting adjourned at 11:30 AM.
Carolee Monroe, Recording Secretary