Democratic Club of Claremont
General Membership Meeting
7:00 PM Monday, September 28, 2015
Porter Hall, Pilgrim Place
Welcome: John Forney, chair, welcomed approximately 28 members and guests.
Added to the Agenda:
- Corresponding Secretary needed.
- Club Facebook page is up.
- Letter from President Obama re. Climate change.
- Letter from Hillary Clinton re. Earth Day petition.
Action item: Carolee Monroe asked for volunteers to staff the DCC booth #735 at Village Venture, Saturday, October 24, 2015. A sign-up sheet was available.
Rev. Dr. John C. Forney, DCC President and Citizens' Climate Lobby, talked about the most current scientific research on global warming and climate change along with predictions based on the research. Political approaches to the problem were also discussed. Strategies for addressing the problem were given. Questions referenced the human impact, American political will and continued subsidies to fossil fuel producers. Media (books and visual) cited were: Cobb John and Castuera, Ignacio: For Our Common Home: Process-Relational Responses t Laudato Si'; Farrelly, Elizabeth: Blubberland: The Danger of Happiness; Guzman, Andrew: Overheated: The Human Cost of Climate Change; Hansen. James: Storms of My Grandchildren; Klein, Naomi: This Changes Everything; Kolbert, Elizabeth: The Sixth Extinction; Lynas, Mark: Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet; Marshall, George: Don't Even Think About It: Why Our Brains are Wired to Ignore Climate Change; McKibben, Bill: EAARTH; The Nation magazine: The Radical Pope; PBS Program: Do The Math; Pope Francis: Encyclical: "Praise Be To You"; Snyder, Timothy: Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning; "Years of Living Dangerously" television series and website: http://environment.yale.edu/climate-communication.
- A Corresponding Secretary is needed.
- The Club now has a Facebook page with Mel Boynton willing to help with it.
- A letter was received from President Obama, in response to our Earth Day petition, citing his administration's development of a Climate Action Plan and its work with international partners to address the issue.
- A letter was received from Hillary R. Clinton, in response to our Earth Day petition, giving some elements of her plan to address the problem. She listed the installation of a half billion solar panels and the generation of enough renewable energy to power American homes within 10 years. Comments, upon hearing of the particulars of her plan centered on the energy companies' assertion that the panels are being used by the wealthy so a high fee must be added. Responses to the charges include both government subsidies for solar panels and lobbying for their use.
Minutes for Approval: MSA (Jack Monroe) the Minutes of the General Membership Meeting of June 29, 2015 were approved unanimously.
FINANCE/Treasurer's Report: Carol Whitson reported a balance of over $2,000 with a recent donation to Pilgrim Place. Buttons and bumper stickers are available for a fixed donation.
PROGRAM & ISSUES
Merrill Ring talked about recent letters sent to Congressional Representatives Chu and Aguilar (a) urging them to support the Iran Agreement and (b) thanking them for their votes in support of it.
Merrill also talked about a letter sent to Assemblyman Holden urging him to support SB 350 and SB 32. Because of a provision being removed from SB 350 and the "murky" nature of the voting procedure on the revised bill, it is deemed desirable that a new position/office be created in the Club: that of regularly researching and reporting back on our elected officials' (Chu, Liu and Holden) websites for their positions and interests and what is not included. Finally, Merrill announced the speakers for the remainder of the fall meetings (see below) and spoke of the favorable reception (both ways) of Ernie Powell's talk on Social Security at our September luncheon.
COMMUNICATIONS: Corresponding Secretary vacancy
MEMBERSHIP: Sandy Hester was unable to attend because of illness. (Rides to meetings and June membership of 139 were on the Agenda.)
POLITICAL STRATEGY: Debi Evans was unable to attend because of illness. Gar Byrum shared Debi's notes: (a) a project to survey members re. following our representatives' votes and bills; (b) her attendance at a NAARAL event; (c) a parental consent proposition will be on the November 2016 ballot; (d) "watch parties" for the presidential debate on October 13, 2015 and (e) the Portantino campaign needs volunteers for its booth at the San Dimas Rodeo on Saturday and Sunday, October 1 and 2.
LACDP update: Joe Salas told of the Activist Summit for Democrats on October 25 (see below) And the FDR/ER Dinner on November 8th. Joe will be recognized as the Democrat of the Year for AD 41, (see below). He reminded members of the pre-endorsement meeting with the submission of the names of the 5 DCC members who will represent the club by November 1st.
- October 9 Luncheon: Hamid Rezai "Iran's Perspective on the Iran Agreement" at Darvish restaurant
- October 13: Watch Parties
- October 24 booth #735 at Village Venture: straw poll, buttons and bumper stickers, "Pithy Progressive Polemics", DISCLOSE Act petition, register to vote
- October 26 General Membership Meeting: Pros & Cons of Measure PS (police station)
- November 13 Luncheon: Noah Snyder, California Clean Money Campaign
- November 30 General Membership Meeting topic will be "Education"
- Saturday, December 5 - Annual Holiday Party, Napier Center, Pilgrim Place, 4 PM
- Countdown to 2016: Summit for Democratic Activists and Club Members
- Sunday, October 25, 2015 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM at Cal State LA in the Golden Eagle Building, 3rd Floor Ballroom Contact Debi Evans for more information.
- Sunday, November 8, 2015 2015 Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Democrat of the Year Dinner
Andy Winnick is revising his monograph on the Arab-Israeli conflict to include the Iran Agreement. The revised paper will be found on the TAIPD website.
Beverly Sloane is ill and would enjoy hearing from members.
Adjourn: The meeting adjourned at 8:45 PM.